Thursday 15 May 2014

Autobiography of Someone Else

Autobiography of Someone else
I think I started out as me
But sadly I didn’t fit          
So they made me someone else
But a nobody really
Because although we keep trying
Only God can make a person
So I’m still me inside
Very still inside –hiding
Till the day I can escape

       And I wish I hadn’t let them
       I wish it hadn’t gone wrong
       I wish I hadn’t let them
       I wish that I’d been strong

They changed my features
So my face fitted in
Wrapped me in social fetters
Took the smile off my face
Put me in my place
A place that never felt like mine

I used to say things:
They hit me
I used to ask questions:
They hit me again
The last thing I said
They laughed at
I fell silent

       And I wish I hadn’t let them
       I wish it hadn’t gone wrong
       I wish I hadn’t let them
       I wish that I’d been strong

Maybe I’ll be broken
Live a quiet death of respectability
Maybe the grace that comes to some
Will come to me and I’ll become a saint
All I know is that now my heart still beats
Very faintly with its original pulse
It may become love
It may become hate
But unless I am freed
I will come either as a prophet or an angel of death
And I will tear down the walls of your city

         And you’ll wonder where it went wrong
         And you’ll wish I  hadn’t grown strong  
                                                                                                   10/2006
                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment